Known as 'Pine Trees', 23 York St Eltham was purchased in 1949, This three acre property was close to Eltham township it was home to a large (28 squares) Victorian weatherboard house with a detached wing, a small cottage and a tennis court. The main house was divided into three with two sections rented as self contained flats as were the detached wing and the cottage.
In the early 1950s Alistair built a joinery at the rear of the property which produced the frames and other joinery for his buildings. In 1965 Alistair built the prototype of his modular houses on a corner of the property (25 York St). On completion he, his wife Margot and their young family moved into this house.
When the property was sold in 1963 it was subdivided into three - the main house, detached wing and cottage, the new house at 25 York St and the strip of land that included the joinery and tennis court. This last section was sold to Alistair's building partner, Peter Hellemons, who built a Knox designed house on it.
In later years the main house fell into disrepair and was damaged by fire and partially demolished. The detached wing was also demolished. the cottage in 2018, still stands and is lived in by the current owner